Tuesday 9 December 2014

Runstreak Day #374 - the radio interview!

Cooer, today was a funny old day!  A year ago, I was just over a week into the Advent Streak, Day 9 and hardly believing that I'd managed to run for 9 days in a row without a break.  Today, I ran for my 374th day in a row.  And didn't even really think about whether or not I would run, I just ran.

After all those days of running though - you can still learn something new.  My latest thing is running without putting my hair up.  At first as I ran down the hill, it felt amazing.  All whooshy and swishy.  Then... the wind blasted me sideways and I ended up running through the bush that is my hair.  I looked like a curly-haired Cousin It, attempting to navigate the streets of Nottingham.  So, my new thing?  If it's windy, forsake the swoosh-factor and PUT YOUR HAIR UP.  Unless you really like the taste of hair.  And enjoy having it in your eyes and up your nose!  Whaddya mean, is that all you learned?  I didn't say it was anything deep and philosophical that you could learn!!  I am a shallow wotsit sometimes.  :D

In fact, today's run was pretty short, but it didn't matter.  It's keeping me from going mad by *not* running, and not aggravating my back too much (okay, a bit, but not terribly).  I had yet another awful night and a tricky morning too - the wind and crazy weather at least woke me up and made me feel alive today.  Which was much needed.

Oh, and my other bit of my 'funny old day', was being on BBC Radio Nottingham talking about my running streak.  I'm sure everyone who listened probably thought I was a bit crazy... but I did give a big ol' shout out to the groups who've inspired me.  Life is very hard work at the moment dealing with PTSD - it feels almost miraculous that running's given me something so positive to talk about and focus on, even if it's only for a few minutes each day.

I have earned a cuppa.

No comments:

Post a Comment