Sunday 21 December 2014

Runstreak Day #386 - ordinary ordinariness

Today's run really was nothing special.  It was quite a lot later than normal, but that's because I'm tired, the weather's windy... and I just couldn't face going out earlier!  I think when people hear that I run every day, they imagine that every day is easy.  That I always fancy a run.  Y'know what?  I don't!  I know I'll regret it if I don't go, as it's always a feeling of achievement to finish any run... but some days, you just aren't feeling it.  And while most people might go 'yeah, I'm not bothering', instead I find a way to get myself out of the door and running.

After all, once you're out there, you're already part of the way to completing that day's run.  Which is a whole lot more progress than if you'd stayed mooching around the house!!

So, today was a short one.  Just enough, not too much... but it did the job.  After a terrible night's sleep (again!), it took me ages to get my energy levels going today.  But, a bit of fresh and free outside, and that definitely helped.  The thing that surprises me is how much I like running at night.  Okay, so I miss running in the day (but today is the shortest day so it all gets better from here!), but there's something about that cocoon of dark and quiet that's a bit special.  You see the world in a whole different way.  The pavements are quiet.  There's barely any traffic.  There's little hustle or bustle and when I'm motoring along, I feel far safer than if I were walking on my own at night.

Obviously, however, I have a physio appointment tomorrow, so none of the above happened.  I didn't run.  I didn't get trapped in my long running top when I forgot to take my Garmin off my sleeve.  My hair didn't look like a spring mattress factory explosion when I finished.  And I definitely, definitely didn't discover how good The Rolling Stones 'You can't always get what you want' is for running up hill.

Nope, none of that.  I was resting.  ;o)

Geeky stats stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment