Wednesday 3 December 2014

Runstreak Day #359 - appreciating the short runs

This time next week, my lovelies... it'll be the start of the Advent Streak again!!

Which means... I'll have done my complete year of running every day.  Which I never set out to do, but seem to be on the verge of doing anyway.  Today was another short one.  It's all about just keeping moving at the mo.  2.5 hilly miles were a bit painful and a bit hard work... but I'm dosed up on painkillers and have had physio again today (more acupuncture - lucky me) to help my back recover.  Obviously I'm still not running at the moment ... I'm walking quickly in a jogging kinda style. *coughs and winks*

Okay, okay... I ran.  But very carefully.  If I'm as light as I can be on my feet - mid to forefoot striking with short, quick steps and staying as upright as possible, that seems to be the thing which jars my back the least.  In fact, it hurts less when I'm doing that than when I'm walking / sitting and it seizes up. I also didn't run very far from home, just zig-zagged up and down some of the neighbourhood streets in a fairly aimless way.  I figure that as it's hilly it's still doing my legs some good, but it's not pushing anything too much so I'm not ending up as a sweaty exhausted blob at the end of it.

Also had counselling today - which is draining in the extreme, especially when all I seem to do is to blub my way through each session.  However, my counsellor did say that I'm not very kind to myself (true) and I unleash my inner critic very easily (also true).  So... my short run is not going to be described as 'only a short run'.  What I did was to give myself a kick up the pants after an exhausting day.  I got myself out there.  I did something for me.  I felt the cold night air rushing past my face as I ran down the hills.  I listened to the rhythm of my steps as I pattered my way back up the other side.  And I did it.

Acknowledging that you have achieved something is much more important than focussing on all the things you might have done.  Every time you lace up your trainers and get out there, you've got a reason to feel proud of yourself.

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:2.47 mi
Time:21:27
Avg Pace:8:42 min/mi
Elevation Gain:143 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment