Wednesday 3 December 2014

Runstreak Day #358 - one week left...

... and yet another very sensible run today because my back is still bad and keeps on seizing up if I stay put for too long.  Ouch!

And exactly the same route as yesterday and the day before.  It's the flattest couple of miles I can manage from my house and not get too far from home in case my back gives completely.  It might be boring, but sometimes it's quite nice to just switch off.  There was one moment where an over-powered car went by too loud, too fast and too close which triggered an accident flashback... but other than that, my mind just drifted.

I think that's something that's happened since starting this running streak almost a year ago.  I have had great runs.  I've had atrocious ones.  But actually, I'm okay with being in my own head when I'm running these days.  I don't need music.  I know my routes.  I can switch off.  It's been so important for me in the last couple of months to have that.  When I started the runstreak, I wasn't in that place with my running.  I was more interested in increasing my pace.  Going further.  Doing more.  Now, I don't really care.  I just love running for the sake of running.  I'm curious as to what else I could do, but it doesn't drive me.

Above all, doing a long runstreak has taught me to value the next day's run as much as today's.  I don't jeopardise tomorrow's run by taking risks I can't manage today.  So, yes, my back is painful... and I've still got problems with my energy, with my ankle, with my neck and shoulders... but I am running really gently right now, and that's physically manageable... and the benefits running gives me when dealing with PTSD are immeasurable.

Short, sensible, free.  I still have something that's me.  I'm glad I started my runstreak to make running such a normal part of my life that it's able to give something back to me when I've needed it.

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:2.13 mi
Time:17:58
Avg Pace:8:27 min/mi
Elevation Gain:83 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment