Wednesday 3 December 2014

Runstreak Day #356 - and then I did my back in

I am bloody well jinxed!!

You know they say you never remember the last time you do something with your children?  The last time you rock them to sleep in your arms.  The last time they fall asleep on your chest.  The last time you hold their hands as they jump into the swimming pool etc.  Well... I am ALWAYS going to remember the last time I gave my daughter a piggyback.  Because that day was today.

And what has this got to do with running?  It very nearly saw me unable to run today at all because I managed to do my back in.  Technically 'something disc-y' as my physio helpfully said today (a bulged disc, I think).  I gave my daughter a piggyback up the stairs at home - I know, idiot me - and felt my back complaining.  Then, about half an hour later as I walked back from the kids' school and went to cut through the nearby woodland, I slipped on a tree root and my foot landed awkwardly.  And the pain seared from my lower back and downwards.  I stood there thinking 'oh, shit'.  I couldn't move.  Not up.  Not down.  In the end, I managed to shuffle my way home very very slowly.  A walk that normally takes 25 minutes max took me an hour and a half.

My plan to go for a run that morning went out of the window and all I managed to do was to get in the house, get painkillers and get to bed.

Fortunately, today I have my usual appointment with the physio for sorting post-accident stuff.  It was obvious that my back was terrible and he worked on that instead of my ankle / shoulder.  Gawd bless the physio!  And acupuncture.  And ice packs.  And co-codamol.  Hooray for all of those things!!

By the time it got to 7:30 this evening, I was sure I wasn't going to be able to run.  But the physio did say I needed to keep mobile, and dosed up on painkillers I thought I'd see if I could manage a walk around the block.  It was pouring with rain so I thought I'd just put on my thermal running top and leggings as they'd be better at keeping me warm than heavy, soaking wet jeans.  As I stepped out of the door I thought 'I wonder if I could manage to run'.  And I did.  Slowly.  But I did it!  Just a couple of soggy, clompy miles.  That's enough though.

Oh, and back pain sure does wonders for your posture!  I had no choice other than to run tall and keep my pelvis stable - anything else was excruciating!!

So, this is a long-winded way of saying a) don't give your 11 year old a piggyback, b) if you do, make sure you have a good physio because you're gonna need it! and c) next time I say that I've only got a few days left until a year of running every day, remind me not to jinx myself!!

OUCH!!

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:2.13 mi
Time:18:47
Avg Pace:8:49 min/mi
Elevation Gain:100 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment