Monday 30 June 2014

Runstreak Day #212 - a 'no peeking' run

You know what it's like with running.  First, you start out by seeing if you can run at all.  You use an app or something to help you... possibly Couch to 5k.  Then, you use an app to track your runs to see how fast you're now able to run.  Then, you start to feel that a run isn't a run without it being logged in some way.

Then... you decide that your app isn't good enough.  The armband annoys you.  It isn't accurate enough.  It's a pain to stop and start it when you're running.  The slippery slope to GPS watchdom has been stepped upon and before you know it, you're sporting an ever-so-slightly over-sized watch and you're a slave to the data.  And the beep which tells you how fast you're going each mile.  And your inner competitive demon wants to beat the beep.

So... today I decided to ignore the beep.  I just ran.  No peeking at my watch.  The beep beeped, but I didn't peek.  As long as I was keeping a nice consistent pace, I was happy.  I want my legs to feel that they can just keep on keeping on at a natural pace.  And then find out afterwards what that pace was.  Y'know what?  It was kinda nice.  I ended up doing a nice comfortable pace.  Enjoyed my run.  Didn't swallow too many flies (always a bonus!).  Didn't get bitten by mozzies.  No toilet desperation.  My pace increased a bit at the end when I had to run past a hu-u-u-u-u-uge group of blokes and couldn't cope with the thought of losing face by being the sad sack middle aged woman stopping to gaps for breath in front of them, so did my best Paula Radcliffe 'I could keep this going for miles' impression and galumphed past them, trying to ignore whatever it was they said!

And no watch checking!

*high fives self*

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:3.35 mi
Time:27:57
Moving Time:27:57
Elapsed Time:27:57
Avg Pace:8:21 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace:8:21 min/mi
Best Pace:7:42 min/mi

No comments:

Post a Comment