Sunday 8 June 2014

Runstreak Day #189 - the day before the big scary challenge...

A run... a stop while my son played in the playground... and then another run.

Nothing too strenuous but keeping my running streak ticking over.  Obviously there were hills... because there are always hills.  But I was running with my littlest coming with me on his bike and that meant that it was chatty and enjoyable.  We stopped to pet a kitten en route.  He chatted incessantly.  I made 'mmm' noises where I could.  It was good.

I haven't told anyone, but tomorrow I'm going to attempt to run my first half marathon.  I know I'm putting it here, but I'm not going to publish this until tomorrow... by which point, hopefully, I'll have managed it and it won't be a secret any more.

I'm not 100% sure why I don't want to tell anyone.  I took someone's place from them at the last minute and I rather like the fact that I'll be running with a running buddy... and running at her pace of about 10 minute miles, so no pressure on me to do anything other than complete it.  That's it.  No pressure.  I *think* I can do it... but I don't need the pressure of anyone else knowing.  Well, no-one other than my running buddy who put the idea of doing the half marathon tomorrow into my head!

So, how do I feel?  I haven't followed a training plan.  I've just run every day for the past 6 months.  The furthest I've ever run has been 10 miles - but I wasn't dead after that so I think I can cope with an extra 3.1.  I'm scared that my feet will be sore, my knee will twinge, my period will arrive, it'll be too hot... but none of those things will prevent me from having a go.  Somehow I've pushed those thoughts to the back of my mind and right now, I feel pretty calm about it.

I don't really know the route - which should panic me, but I don't feel too anxious right now.  If I'd stuck to the Robin Hood Half being my first HM in September, I'd have had a few more months to worry about it.  But this way, I'm just going to give it a go.  No-one to ask me how it went.  No-one to wish me luck.  No pressure.  Just as with starting Couch to 5k where I didn't tell anyone I was doing it... tomorrow, I line up to run my first ever half marathon without telling anyone.

Tomorrow is my first half marathon.  *gulp*

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:2.35 mi
Time:19:26
Moving Time:19:27
Elapsed Time:46:06
Avg Pace:8:16 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace:8:16 min/mi
Best Pace:6:18 min/mi

No comments:

Post a Comment