Saturday 28 June 2014

Runstreak Day #210 - streak-saving-shoehorn run

I have no idea how today's run happened.  I was up at 4am... at an event in East Sussex by 7am... there until after 4pm... didn't get home until nearly 9pm... and am absolutely exhausted.

Unpacked the car.  Got the kids to bed.

Slurped a quick cup of tea... and... out for a run.

When I say 'run', I mean... I don't know what I mean.  It didn't feel like running.  It felt like slogging.  Ran up the hill... paused to tie my shoelaces and gasp for breath a bit... up across the park... ambled across the top... looked at the downward slope and checked whether I was nearly at the 'just a mile' I'd forced myself to do.  At 0.87 of a mile, my brain went... right... stop it... you can do a bit more... just to the bottom of the hill and round... that might drag it over 2.  So I... bravely... ran past the turn which would have zig zagged me back home... ran past the next turn which would have taken me down my road... crossed the road, went across and down another hill, deliberately taking me just a bit further away... around the bottom of the hill, past the supermarket... and zig zagged back up the hill again.

Why the tortuous detail about the run?  Because it was tortuous.  My hip / knee have been feeling a bit grim since a long car journey a week ago and my back wasn't great today after another long car journey yesterday evening.  I took everything at a steady pace, but I know I'm going to have to do some gentle runs on the flat to ride this one through.

Ah well... not every run is a festival of joyfulness.  Sometimes you have to grit your teeth, force yourself out there and know that another day will be better.  And then give yourself a big fat yay for having run at all!  YAY!!!

Glad I shoehorned that 'un in.  :o)

Geeky stats stuff
Distance:2.09 mi
Time:17:26
Moving Time:17:27
Elapsed Time:18:55
Avg Pace:8:20 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace:8:21 min/mi
Best Pace:6:29 min/mi

No comments:

Post a Comment