Thursday 19 June 2014

Runstreak Day #201 - aimless = happiness

My run was completely and utterly aimless today.  I headed out of the door... saw a neighbour and decided not to run past him, but to head up the hill instead... then down the hill... then saw the road was clear so crossed and headed down a path... then veered off to the left, just because... then down the hill and up the next hill because, well... just because.

And the whole run went pretty much like that.  Random decision making to piece together a route.  Ta daaaa!

Obviously that always backfires in the end because my route involves more steep hills than it would if I'd actually planned it!  Whoops!  Which wasn't very kind on my legs because they're having a tired day and I'm sure that in between the huffing and puffing coming from my breathing, my legs were definitely telling me to eff off.  :o)

As my mind also drifted about aimlessly while I was running, I realised that I'm not that bothered about times any more.  I have a pace I know I can run at which is okay... and that's fine for me.  What I want is to be able to run further and more comfortably.  Speed isn't something which is ever going to be spectacular because, let's face it, I'm almost 40 and there are adult women who are less than half my age, with young sporty legs and oingy boingy lives who will easily wipe the floor with me.  So, my brain has decided that pace isn't important.  Feeling good about my running.  Feeling confident about my running.  Feeling the space and freedom.  Feeling happy when I run... that's much more important to me.

Day 201... the day I had a lightbulb moment about what really matters when it comes to running.

It only took 201 days.  That's not bad going, right?  :o)

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:3.50 mi
Time:28:57
Moving Time:28:57
Elapsed Time:33:09
Avg Pace:8:16 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace:8:16 min/mi
Best Pace:6:49 min/mi

No comments:

Post a Comment