Tuesday 17 June 2014

Runstreak Day #199 - what run streaks are made of

If you don't run every day, you run when you fancy a run.  Or when your plan tells you to have a run.  Or when you think you *should* run.  Or when your club / running partner has arranged a run.  And the mantra of 'REST DAYS ARE AS IMPORTANT AS RUN DAYS' pounds through your head.  If, on the other hand, you are a bit crackers and *do* run every day, then there is no such thing as a 'rest' day.  There are just days.  Some days you have a bucketload of energy.  Some days you don't have so much.

And then there are those days when you just don't think you have any energy left, when you've had a day that was jam packed... when you've walked for miles and you just fancy slobbing in a chair for the rest of the evening.  It's those days where you still get your running kit on, chuck yourself out of the door and somehow find the energy to get your legs moving again... and get 5k done... those are the days when you know you've been runstreaking for so long that you have no excuses left to get out of going for a run.

Which was today.

And I even ran up the stupidly steep hill.  The hill which makes cyclists get off and walk.  The hill which gains you an audience every time you try to run up it.  That hill.  With these tired legs *points downwards*.  Yeah... in your face, stupidly steep hill.  Me 1 : Hill 0  :o)

Someone asked me the other day if I'd ever been injured while I've been doing my runstreak.  The answer is 'no'.  'Do you stretch?', 'Don't your knees hurt?',  I get asked a lot.  'You must have a good stretching routine', another person will say.  'Ermmm... I stretch a bit', I reply... knowing that most of the time I probably do a little stretch here or there, but nothing particularly grown up or clever.

Running every day is definitely not for everyone.  But neither is it that special either.  It just becomes one of those things you do.  When you've run out of excuses and all that's left is running.  So you run.

Today I ran.  Tomorrow will be Day 200.  I'll be running then too.  You just watch me.

Tea?  Yes please!

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:3.18 mi

Time:26:16
Moving Time:26:16
Elapsed Time:29:36
Avg Pace:8:15 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace:8:16 min/mi
Best Pace:7:00 min/mi
 

No comments:

Post a Comment