Thursday 17 April 2014

Runstreak Day #138 - two attempts, one run...

It took two goes to get my run done this morning.  Both attempts were with my children.

The first attempt with my son.  We got approximately 50 yards down a track when he came off his bike.  His brake had sheared off and he'd gone over the handlebars.  One dirty tear-stained face later, we were home, he was dusted down.  And I attempted to go again.  This time with my daughter.  Far more successful... no injuries... but she does love to stop and tell me she's tired every five minutes!!

This morning's route was another fairly flat one - still trying not to strain my twingy left knee any more than I have to! - and I ran where I first started with Couch to 5k just over a year ago.  It's a really quiet route and the only people out there are bird spotters.  I chose it initially because no-one would see my pitiful efforts at running.  Today I chose it for another reason - it's been months since I've been there.

But, I thought about the version of me who started running there just over a year ago.  I can see that my pace then was 14:52 minutes per mile.  Today it was 7:58 minutes per mile.  I might be 7 minutes per mile faster (7 minutes faster?!?!?!!  That's insane!), but I tell you what, I am SO glad that version of me persisted.  Even though she was ashamed to be seen by anyone.  Even though she thought she'd die as her lungs burned with the effort of running at all.  And she cursed herself for being so unfit, so fat, so hopeless at it all.  But kept on with it anyway.  I'd love to give that version of me a massive hug and thank her for not giving in.

Sometimes it takes more than one attempt to get to do what you need to do.  Sometimes it takes a LOT more than one attempt.  But where running's concerned, it's definitely worth it.

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:3.37 mi
Time:26:48
Avg Pace:7:58 min/mi

Time:26:48
Moving Time:26:48
Elapsed Time:32:20
Avg Pace:7:58 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace:7:58 min/mi
Best Pace:6:23 min/mi

No comments:

Post a Comment