Wednesday 9 April 2014

Runstreak Day #130 - the realisation...

Guess what?  I had a crazy realisation today...

Okay, so it's only taken 130 days of running each and every day... but...

... here it comes...

... wait for it... it's coming...

... I actually believe I can run.

Right, so I know that sounds completely barking mad, but I don't think I actually believed it before.  I think that surviving the chaos of the 10k on Sunday and managing a PB regardless has done something positive to my head.  By forgetting my Garmin that day, it's dawned on me that I ran the distance without knowing where I was, how far I'd gone or how far I'd got left to go.  I just had to try to keep on running for as long as I needed to run because it could have been 5 more miles, 2 more miles or whatever... I just didn't know.  Now, when I'm running 5k, I know for certain that I can manage the distance.  The doubt I've felt when I've stepped out of the door before seems to have lifted.

Starting from being an obese complete and utter beginner last year, it hasn't just about physically getting used to running.  It's a mental thing too.  I suffer from terrible nerves if I have to run with a large group of people - mainly because I feel like an imposter.  Like someone's going to spot that I'm not really a runner at all.  I was such a mess on Sunday before it started when I realised I'd ballsed up and forgotten my watch.  Crying and saying to my husband that I wanted to go home etc!  Properly pathetic.  And yet... I did it anyway.  Me, that person who was carrying 6 extra stones in weight last year and couldn't run more than 45 seconds.  I did it.

And today I did another 5k and averaged 8:02 mins per mile.

Yup.  I actually believe I can run.

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:3.20 mi
Time:25:41
Avg Pace:8:02 min/mi
Time:25:41
Moving Time:25:44
Elapsed Time:34:18
Avg Pace:8:02 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace:8:03 min/mi
Best Pace:5:52 min/mi

No comments:

Post a Comment