Sunday 2 March 2014

Runstreak Day #92 - the almost didn't bother

I wondered why I bother with running today.

Sometimes fitting in running with a busy family and working life almost seems too much.  Every priority pulls and tugs at you until there doesn't seem to be anything left.  The temptation to curl up on the sofa and hibernate is so strong.  The battle to carve out a little time each day to run seems to wear you down.

But what would be left?  A version of me who didn't get the space she needed.  Who lost out on that chance to feel alive each and every day.  Who didn't get the chance to feel REAL feelings not those mediated by internet memes or media.  With running I am a version of me who gets to know what struggling feels like and what success feels like after that fight.  Who doesn't get sucked into negative self image because instead her body reminds her of how incredible it is with every hill, every mile and every step.  I am not afraid to try.  I am not afraid to believe that I can do more than I imagine.

When I wonder why I bother with running, I remind myself that it's worth it.  Fast, far, short, slow.  That little act of getting your trainers on and getting out there is worth it.

Today I ran in the dark and the rain.  Ran through puddles.  Ran up hills.  Ran down.  Ran with no-one else around.  And I felt free.

And wet.  Very wet!!

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:3.10 mi
Time:27:43
Avg Pace:8:56 min/mi

Time:27:43
Moving Time:27:43
Elapsed Time:27:47
Avg Pace:8:56 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace:8:57 min/mi
Best Pace:6:26 min/mi

No comments:

Post a Comment