Tuesday 18 March 2014

Runstreak Day #108 - minimum distance or time?

At the beginning of December when I started this run streak, this exact same route (it's my local minimum distance 'well lit at night' route) took me 23:15 to run.  This evening it took me 20:56.  And that's with not feeling 100%... and with tired legs.  It's amazing how much running every day improves your running.

Part of me is thinking 'I really should run a bit further' and run for a minimum length of time rather than a minimum distance, but to be honest, I can't be bothered!  Just getting out there each day is enough, especially when it's dark and the weather's a bit grim.

Funny thing is, these sorts of conversations about distance, time, improvements etc are the conversations I have with myself.  There's something about running which - when you are with another runner - you can chat about happily... but for anyone else they pull *that* face and it means nothing.  To be honest, a year ago it would have meant little to me either.  But I guess that's the thing.  It's hard to put into words the quiet satisfaction of doing just a little better.  Of getting out there even if you didn't feel like it.  Of doing something you didn't think your body could do.  Maybe you don't need to tell anyone about that?  The conversation about how you feel about running is one that gets internalised and absorbed into lots of lovely positive feelings.

Even when I get back home, sweating, puffing and gasping... even when I'm sticking on the washing machine for the millionth load of laundry... even when I'm feeling a bit tired.  I still know that I *did* something.  And that's pretty darned yummy.

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:2.47 mi
Time:20:56
Avg Pace:8:28 min/mi

Time:20:56
Moving Time:20:56
Elapsed Time:20:56
Avg Pace:8:28 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace:8:28 min/mi
Best Pace:7:01 min/mi

No comments:

Post a Comment