Saturday 15 March 2014

Runstreak Day 105... 10k baby!

Do be doooooo... got under 55 minutes for 10k for the first time ever!!! 54:28 in fact!!!!!! 



*faints*
Three months ago I'd never even run 10k. Didn't even know if I *could* run that distance. And even today setting out I could feel the butterflies about whether or not I could do it. Now, I know that compared to many, it's a trifling distance... but to me, it's still crazy that I can run it at all - a year ago I was still plodding my way through Couch to 5k. Isn't running amazing for the way it changes what you thought you were capable of?
I *wish* I didn't get so nervous about the thought of running with other people though.  I didn't do Parkrun this morning after my daughter had a big wobble over going swimming without me a few minutes before I was due to leave... and then I felt ick for ages after the 'threat' of Parkrun had passed because it takes such a lot for me to psych myself up to do it.  I don't know what the problem is.  I know I can run the distance.  I'm not the fastest, not the slowest - so don't stand out in anyway and can anonymously trot round... but... I just get this overwhelming urge to run away from it as I'm going round the route!  It's horrible.  Complete fight or flight mode - and flight is the one which dominates my brain as I'm running.  Afterwards, I'm okay and chat to other runners, but once I leave the park, coming down from the adrenaline rush knocks me for six again.  Gah! 
But... I ran 10k again. And my legs are intact! And my sore hip and shin are feeling LOADS better. A few days of slow, short plods has helped keep me moving without killing myself. YAY! 
*sups celebratory cuppa*
Happy dance, anyone? 

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:6.24 mi
Time:54:51
Avg Pace:8:47 min/mi

Time:54:51
Moving Time:54:51
Elapsed Time:54:51
Avg Pace:8:47 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace:8:47 min/mi

No comments:

Post a Comment