Wednesday 19 November 2014

Runstreak Day #348 - short is where it's at

Right now, I can only manage short runs.  It's massively frustrating, but I'd rather do a short run than no run at all.  So I did just over 2.5 miles, had my 'normal' feeling faint thing after 2 miles.  But at least I managed to run up the big hill from my house without stopping.

I have definitely decided that I can't do the half marathon I'm signed up for on Sunday though.  I am not feeling well enough and I can't risk feeling faint / fainting during a race.  I feel pretty damn fed up about it, but I know that my body just isn't up to it at the moment and I could land myself in all sorts of trouble physically if I push it too hard.  I'm already feeling like I'm on the edge of what I can cope with, so there you have it... I'm (almost) being sensible.

I was thinking again about my decision to keep on running.  It struck me that it's just become such a normal thing for me to run every day that to *not* run every day is like not doing any of the other everyday things you do.  Not walking.  Not sleeping.  Not eating.  If you had those things taken away from you, or had to fight to continue doing them... you'd do it, right?  So why shouldn't I fight to carry on running?  I am not physically injured enough not to run (other than the remnants of the car accident), I am exhausted because of the PTSD and am not feeling too good generally, but not enough to stop me from wanting to get out there and feel just a little bit human.

Even if it is just for short bursts.  Not fast.  Not far.  But free.  Just for a little bit.

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:2.60 mi
Time:21:55
Avg Pace:8:26 min/mi
Elevation Gain:189 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment