Wednesday 19 November 2014

Runstreak Day #346 - the abandoned run

For the first time ever, absolutely ever, I had to abandon a run.  I can hardly believe I did it, but I just could not carry on running any further.

In my head, I was going to run 10k today.  I thought it would be okay.  I'd take it steady, do as flat a route as I could.  The first mile was okay.  The second was going alright.  Then I had to stop at the traffic lights to wait to cross the road, and the horrible faint feeling came over me.  I crossed the road and carried on.  The faint, sicky feeling came again.  I went a little further.  I thought I would throw up.

It was SO frustrating.  I had run to the place where I first started running back in January 2013.  I've run around that area loads of times.  I felt like I was letting myself down terribly.  Letting down the version of me who'd battled to get running in the first place.  I ended up sat on the footbridge which crosses a stream before the main lakes I run round.  I could not stop feeling faint.  It was horrible.  I gave myself a stern talking to and carried on.  I got to a bench and sat down, feeling awful.  I sat for a while, wondering what to do.  I had barely done 2.5 miles and I knew that I was struggling badly.  I thought I'd slow down, try to carry on.

I made it to the next bench before the wave of nausea and horrible faint feeling became too much.  In the end, I decided to try to get to 3 miles and see how I felt.  There was no way that 10k was happening.  I didn't even get to 3 miles before I had to stop again, retching by the side of the path.  Finally, 3 miles beeped mercifully on my watch.  I stopped.  Felt angry and so, so frustrated with myself.  I've worked so hard to become a runner.  I've run those lakes so many times, each time quicker, more confident.

And now, this.  The day I had to abandon my run and I just could not run a single step further.  I trudged slowly home, feeling the anxiety of the traffic keenly.

Plus, it turns out walking 3 miles takes a LOT longer than running them.  And you get so much colder too.

Gah to it all.  I am SO fed up of it!!

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:3.01 mi
Time:25:55
Avg Pace:8:37 min/mi

No comments:

Post a Comment