Sunday 16 November 2014

Runstreak Day #343 - the old lady hijack...

So... after 343 days of running each day... I have a first.  Today, as I ran in the cold and wet, doing a 'don't quite know where I'm going but I'm just going to see where I end up' run... today, I got hijacked by an old lady.

Yup.  An old lady.

There I was, a couple or so miles into my run.  Wet through and trying to work out the best way of getting back to where I'd started from, when I'm just about to cross the road.  On the pavement opposite is an old lady.  She beckons me over.  Not knowing what she wants, I decide to cross and find out.  As I get to her, she grabs my arm and basically makes me walk her back up the hill and where she needs to go!!  At snail's pace.  She could manage about a couple of metres before having to stop to get her breath.  Grasping my arm firmly the whole time.

I couldn't really tell what she was saying as a) she was deaf (and halfway through decided to take out her hearing aids so couldn't hear me either) and b) I think she'd had a stroke as her speech wasn't clear.  But she knew where she was going and knew she wasn't letting go of my arm.  I even had to adjust her support socks for her halfway through!  Between us, twenty minutes later, we eventually ended up at the top of the hill, on the high street.  She goes on her way without a thank you... and I carry on my run, a little bemused by the whole thing, soaked and absolutely frozen!

In almost a year, I've run half marathons, I've swallowed flies, I've made new running friends, I've parkrun, I've run up and down hills all over the place, I've been chased, I've had umpteen catcalls and gone through several pairs of trainers.  And now, I've been hijacked by an old lady.  In support stockings.

Who says running is boring?!

*sups tea and tries to work out the weirdness of the day's run again*

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:3.62 mi
Time:31:40
Avg Pace:8:45 min/mi
Elevation Gain:242 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment