Wednesday 19 November 2014

Runstreak Day #345 - streak-saving short run

20 days left until the full year... and today I invoked the '2 mile minimum' rule... as all I did was just over 2 miles.  The only aim was to keep moving and not stop.  Which sounds a bit pathetic for such a short distance, but having felt poorly for the past few weeks and not being able to run without stopping, this was about keeping moving and nothing else.

It just goes to show, you can be capable of running much further... but sometimes your goals need to shift and become much smaller... yet they're still important to you.  I knew today was going to be a hard run.  Monday is the day I have counselling which means I'm generally wrecked afterwards and haven't much energy left for anything, let alone any kind of distance.  To have been able to run up a mile of hill without stopping was pretty satisfying... and to get a break from feeling so anxious for a while was massive relief.  I'm so stupidly anxious / tense at the moment that my teeth hurt.  Isn't that mad?  It's from my jaw being so clenched, I guess... but even so.  Crackers!

At least when I was running, I was consciously in charge of my breathing, my pace, consciously getting myself to relax my shoulders and focus on my form.  Running is brilliant for allowing you to escape what's going on in your head... even if you do have to shrink your goals, shrink your expectations and just hang on in there.

Day 345 done.  And... bed.

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:2.14 mi
Time:18:36
Avg Pace:8:42 min/mi
Elevation Gain:153 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment