Saturday 30 August 2014

Runstreak Day #273 - my daughter's first parkrun!

Hooray!  Today I did my slowest ever parkrun!!  Only it wasn't just me... it was 'we'... because I ran it with my 11 year old and it was brilliant to run with her.

And she's survived to tell the tale... and even says she'll go again.  Which is excellent.  Weirdly she'd got it in her head that it was 2k rather than 5... and only realised it was 5 as we were driving home and I said it to her!

So... things I've learned about running with my daughter...

1.  It's a roller coaster.  She can go from excited and happy to 'this is the worst thing ever' within the blink of an eye.
2.  Even when she's really finding it hard work, she'll still have breath enough to go 'I want to waa-a-a-a-a-alk'... and then manage to carry on running anyway (go figure!)
3.  She doesn't care whether she's passed by massive people or teensy people, she's completely in her own little world as she's running - there is no side of her that is at all competitive
4.  Her hands get REALLY sweaty when she runs. Or rather, they get really sweaty when she's running hand in hand with me
5.  It's like running with all the thoughts you have ever had in your head being spoken aloud by a small person.  Every bit of 'I can do this, I can't do this, this is too hard, I'm nearly there, when am I there, my legs are tired, ooh a hill' blather pops out of your child's head.

I've also learned that she can run 5k!  We only had a couple of small walk breaks and I did have to bribe her with a piggy back ride back to the car once she finished (which nearly did me in!).  And it was ace to see a couple of others that I know marshalling... and people are super dooper supportive of children running parkruns... and I didn't care in the slightest about my own time, so didn't get that normal nervous adrenalin rush beforehand.

So... absolutely no PBs today.  But a very very proud mummy run instead!  :o)

Day 273 (I think!)... and it was a goodie!

*slurps tea*

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:3.17 mi
Time:36:16
Avg Pace:11:26 min/mi
Elevation Gain:31 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment