Saturday 16 August 2014

Runstreak Day #259 - parkrun PB, sub-24... woo hoooo!

A bit of a late update given that my run for day 259 was a parkrun this morning... but I'm still all happy and skippy about it... because today I managed to get a sub-24 minute parkrun time!!!! 23:43... Get in! 5th female finisher and 1st in my age category!  Am ridiculously chuffed because when my time has been sub-24 before it's been just me recording it. Some how it being recorded on a parkrun makes it legit!

It didn't start out too great though. I haven't done a parkrun since the RMR one in July through a combination of a sore knee and dread! That last parkrun was awful.  I stopped to walk three times and although my time wasn't terrible, I just couldn't get my head around the fact that I'd allowed myself to stop... and the fear that it would happen again wouldn't easily shift.

So, this morning I had the full compliment of nervous stomach. A million loo visits. Nearly bottling out at the last minute.  But then, just as I was about to leave the house I had a text from my older brother. After some arm twisting he'd agreed to run the Stroud Trail half marathon with me next year in memory of my Dad. The thought that I'm going to run that with both of my brothers on the anniversary of Dad's death was really emotional. I never did run when he was alive, but we'll all be together on *that* day, remembering him and doing something brilliant for him.  I suddenly realised that today's parkrun was the first run in preparation for Dad's half marathon.  And pulled myself together.

And then... when the usual almost overwhelming feeling that I should stop came over me, I thought about Dad. I kept going for him.  I didn't ease up because of him.  I ran because he's not here and I am... and I get to make something of me and make him proud. 

Today's run was amazing. Not just because of the PB (7:30 minute miles though - yay!!!), but because I didn't let my head stop my body from giving it a good go.

Thank you, Dad. xxx

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:3.16 mi
Time:23:44
Avg Pace:7:31 min/mi
Elevation Gain:6 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment