Friday 29 August 2014

Runstreak Day #272 - hilly happiness

I think I may need to invent the 'I conquered the stupidly long hill' dance.

Because that's what I did this evening.  Almost three miles of uphill in a 5.5 mile run.  Get me!  It wasn't particularly fast, but I do love the fact that I *can* run up long hills these days without collapsing or dying.  I put on my determined face and decide to give them a go.  There's nothing else you can really think about when running up a hill other than running.  It's kind of intense in a funny way.  You have to concentrate on your rhythm.  On your breathing.  On landmarks which you bargain with yourself to reach and carry on past.  It's one of those things that's hard work but completely absorbing.

You know what?  I have a weird love of hills these days.  They're interesting.  They're challenging.  You feel brilliant when you manage one that's eluded you.  And you never quite know if you're going to be able to manage a new and tricky one.  Which makes it a bit of a game when you give them a go.  I know lots of people avoid hills or are scared of them.  But you can't really be scared of them.  They're just, well... there.  You do what you can do, you give them a go.

And today, I just ran 'em.

Obviously my legs now hate me ever so slightly.  But the other good thing about hills is that you get to run down them.  And that was flippin' brilliant!

Tomorrow, I'm taking it easy.  And running with my daughter on her first 'grown up' parkrun!  It'll be a slow affair, but I'm SO looking forward to it!

I bloody love running!

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:5.47 mi
Time:47:11
Avg Pace:8:37 min/mi
Elevation Gain:316 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment