Friday 1 August 2014

Runstreak Day #244 - fartlek messin' about

Day 244 and a soggy, squelchy run this evening.  Not very long... but not 'back to earth with a bump' with coming home from holiday either.  I'm gradually finding my way back to running without being scared of my knee hurting... and although I'm not pushing it and making sure that I stop and stretch every so often (mainly through fear of hurting myself again!), my pace is starting to pick back up.

In fact... I'm even experimenting with being grown up about my running.  Y'know... doing strengthening exercises, stretching, cross training... and even did fartlekky stuff this evening.  It was kinda fun.  There's something a bit insane as a grown up running as fast as you can, then slowing as you try to stop yourself from haemorrhaging a lung or giving yourself some kind of crazy hernia from the effort of it all.  Okay, so kids don't have that problem when they're racing about.  But as a grown up, it's freeing to just give it some welly every so often!

And part of me is relieved to see that my pace is returning to more where it was before I went and hurt my knee.  I'd begun to doubt whether I could run at that pace anymore... but tonight it was 7 minute something mile average and it was fun.  No parkrun tomorrow as I am still kinda scared about pushing it and hurting myself.  When does the fear start to ease up after you've injured yourself?!  At least there's enough fun for the fear not to be eating into my head too much!

And enough tea to make everything alright!  Hooray!!  :D

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:2.80 mi
Time:21:49
Avg Pace:7:47 min/mi
Elevation Gain:12 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment