Saturday 9 August 2014

Runstreak Day #252 - rules of runstreaking

Almost too tired to run today.  But, that's not an excuse not to run.  In fact... while I think of it, here are my 'rules for runstreaking'

1.  Focus only on the day in hand, but try to stay fit enough to run tomorrow
2.  Do not slavishly follow a training plan, if you don't feel like doing a certain distance, don't do it
3.  Vary your routes
4.  Listen to your body
5.  There are no valid excuses for not running, if there's a genuine reason, you'll know it
6.  The weather doesn't matter
7.  The light doesn't matter
8.  Don't get hung up on pace - there's always another day to try to go faster
9.  Focus on your form. Sloppy running = more risk of injury = not worth it
10. Take 'active rest days' where you run slower, easier routes

Straight forward!  Well, sometimes you don't really feel like it, and then, like today, I just end up doing a 'make it up on the spot' route and seeing where I feel like going - a combination of rules 3, 4 and 5 today!.  I ended up braving a steep hill again and that wasn't too terrible.  And running down it I concentrated on staying relaxed as I ran so as not to strain my 'please don't get bad again' knee.  If you'd been near me, you'd have heard me chanting under my breath 'relax, relax, relax' as I ran down it!!

Plus, I had the added bonus of seeing a slightly-worse-for-wear bloke wandering into someone else's garden and peeing up their wall.  It's those kind of quality experiences that make a random run such a pleasure!

And then I got home and sweated so much that I was walking around the house in my own puddle.  Day 252... a thing of beauty.

Which is why I've earned my lovely cuppa cha!

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:3.36 mi
Time:27:58
Avg Pace:8:20 min/mi
Elevation Gain:155 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment