Wednesday 27 August 2014

Runstreak Day #270 - last run of my 30s!

Day 270 - a day completely unremarkable to anyone else... but for me... it was my last run of my 30s.  Because tomorrow I'm 40.

And today's run reminded me that the present I chose to give myself for my 40th was a long time coming, but well worth it.  About 18 months ago, I decided that with 40 looming, I needed to sort my life and health out.  And along with getting to grips with my diet, I took up running.  At first, almost to prove that I *couldn't* run... that c25k wouldn't work for everyone.  And then, I surprised myself by starting to enjoy it.  Someone told me to give it 6 months - and they were right.  The first 6 months were hard.  I was obese.  And progress was VERY slow.  I definitely didn't feel like I could run... and it's only really been since starting my runstreak last December that I've finally got the confidence that I actually can run.  My first 5k took me over 40 minutes.  I can now run 5k in just over 23 minutes.

So, tonight, I ran with the Sweatshop Running Community, didn't really run *with* anyone other than vaguely kept pace for the first couple of miles with the couple of blokes who went storming off ahead.  Ran up a 2 mile long hill... ran down the other side with a MASSIVE grin on my chops.  As I was running up the hill I realised that although we can't afford presents / going out or anything like that for my birthday, I've given myself my life back.  I've given myself my fitness.  I can run up big eff-off hills and carry on running straight down the other side and have a conversation at the end of it all.

Tomorrow, I'm 40.  I wasn't a runner for most of my 30s.  But tomorrow I start a brand new decade as a runner.

Aren't I a lucky old me?

*happy dances around the kitchen*

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:4.06 mi
Time:33:37
Avg Pace:8:17 min/mi
Elevation Gain:251 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment