Friday 8 August 2014

Runstreak Day #251 - marathon sign up and other crazy stuff

Day 251... or... the day where madness was afoot...

Things that probably aren't sensible?

1.  Running in torrential rain
2.  Running in torrential rain while thunder booms overhead
3.  Running in torrential rain while thunder booms overhead and lightning flashes in front of you
4.  Signing up for a marathon.

So, if you're not going to be sensible, you might as well be a whole lotta 'not sensible' and have done with it.  So I did.  :o)

Let's deal with the running bit first.  It was absolutely crackers... but LOADS of fun.  Met up with some of my lovely Notts running buddies for a run.  The sky was looking mildly threatening while we stood and chatted, waiting for everyone to arrive.  By the time the fifth member of our little slice of running happy arrived, it was looking just a tad on the 'more than threatening' side of dark.  And virtually the instant that our Garmins beeped into life the first rain drops started.

Nothing terrible in that.  In fact, there were still people outside the pub next to the canal path as we ran past... but... not for long.  Within a few minutes the rain was no longer kidding.  It absolutely bucketed down!  Big splatty sheets of rain so that within seconds we were soaked.  And discovered the delights of shoes and knickers / shorts / bras filling with water.  And then obviously the thunder and lightning joined in, because the rain was clearly having such a good time that they thought they'd joined in.  And all I could do was laugh as I ran with the ridiculousness of it all!  We passed one other runner who gave us the official 'I know this is mental but yay!!!' face and splooshed our way through almost 4 miles of soggy.

I was still dripping wet by the time I got home.  In fact, today is the first time I've ever had clothes which are drier *after* they've come out of the washing machine than when they went in!!

In fact, even thinking about it now is making me smile!  That's how running should be, I guess.  Just the right side of insanity.  And if you can feel like a naughty child while you're doing it, then it's all a recipe for happiness!!

Okay... so... that's that bit.  The other bit of 'not sensible'?  I signed up for the Rock 'n' Roll Liverpool marathon for next year!  I am stupidly excited about it and obviously sh*tting myself.  I wonder what the me from 2 years ago would think?  The one who was obese and hadn't run in her whole adult life??  I hope she'd like the fact that the 40 year old version of her had finally got her act together and decided to do things that scared her enough that she knew what it was to really feel alive!

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:3.87 mi
Time:37:22
Avg Pace:9:39 min/mi
Elevation Gain:7 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment