Monday 11 August 2014

Runstreak Day #254 - kids, bikes and chaos

It always feels like a great idea, y'know... doing stuff with the kids.  Especially when it comes to doing active stuff with them.  What could be better?  Healthy, fit... you know... worthy of a parental halo or two.

Until you actually attempt it.  And then it's like seven shades of hell.  Okay, maybe a slight exaggeration, but it's definitely never magazine spread perfect.

Take tonight's run.  I think to myself 'it would be nice to go for a run with the kids'.  Only my daughter doesn't want to run.  So I think, 'well, maybe the whole family could come on their bikes with me'... which takes a bit of negotiating and persuading.  Until people start to get ready.  Then, my son irritates my daughter.  She drives him mad.  He's rude and then refuses to go for a bike ride at all.  Which leaves me with one child who may come with me.  Only she won't run, so bike it is.

Eventually we get out.  She rides her bike, grumbles about it being a bit slow and it turns out her brakes are jamming.  I wiggle them free.  We carry on.  She manages another mile.  It's okay.  A bit windy, but okay.  They jam again.  I wiggle.  We carry on.  Jam.  Wiggle.  Carry on.  Jam.  Wiggle.  Carry on.  It sounds like the script for a smutty 1970s comedy!  Only a lot less funny.  And sitcoms in the seventies weren't even that funny!!

By the time we're nearly done, her pedals decide to get in on the action.  And they jam.  I shove them into life.  And then the chain then feels like it's missing out.  And promptly falls off.  I flip her bike over to get the chain back on... and hit myself with the pedal in my right knee.  Grazing it beautifully.  Under breath swearing and the chain's on again.

She carries on a bit.  Chain falls off.  The brakes jam.  Chain on.  Brakes again.

In the end, there we are with her jogging along pushing her bike while I run ahead, stop, adjust the bike, run on a bit more.  By the time we get back to the car, she's still being brave and not sulking.  My hands are black with fixing the bike umpteen times.  And I hate all things wheeled just a bit.

Yeah.  That whole 'let's go for a family run / bike ride, it'll be fun' thing?  Next time I think that's a good idea?  Remind me of today.  Day 254?  Pah!

Right.  I need tea.  A LOT of tea!!

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:2.90 mi
Time:23:12
Avg Pace:8:00 min/mi
Elevation Gain:14 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment