Wednesday 16 July 2014

Runstreak Day #228 - the joys of the early

Okay, so right now, my running is as slow as an elephant sleepwalking through treacle, blindfolded... and backwards... on a bad day... but I *am* enjoying my early morning runs at the moment.  It is so nice to catch the day before it fully wakes up.  In fact, it feels like you're out and about doing something positive before just about anyone else wakes up.

Which is probably true when it's half past five in the morning and even the milkman looks at you like you're a little bit crazy.

But a little bit of crazy is good when you get to run along in the early morning sunshine through chill shadows and out into the growing warmth of the morning.  You feel completely alive when it's just you, just your breathing, just your footsteps... and nothing else.  No traffic.  No hustle.  No bustle.  If you're lucky, you get to see the mist rising off the land while it's still bathed in a blanket of golden light.  It's so perfect it's almost like being let into a secret that things could be that beautiful... but only if no-one else knows about it.  It's a fantastic time of day.

The thing is that you don't need to think about how lovely it might be when you get out there.  You just need to get out there.  Whether that's putting your running kit in the bathroom so that you see it when you go to the loo first thing (that might just be me who wakes up super early for a pee though!)... or whatever.  You just have to fool yourself into getting ready so quickly there's no choice *but* to run.

So, I ran at 5:30.  I ran almost 4 miles.  I ran pretty darned slowly.  But I savoured every delicious minute of it.  And then next time someone tells me they're not a morning person or they think I'm crazy for going out at that time, I'll make an 'mmm hmmm' noise... and know that they just haven't been let into the secret loveliness of really early mornings.

PS  And then I lost my Fitbit which was annoying...
PPS ... but then decided I didn't need it and that I was okay about it. That's how positive an early morning run can make you feel!!

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:3.75 mi
Time:32:54
Avg Pace:8:46 min/mi
Elevation Gain:187 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment