Wednesday 9 July 2014

Runsteak Day #221 - chatty happy runny

I was brave again and went and joined in with the Sweatshop Running Community run... this time the evening run which takes place near where I live.  I didn't know anyone who was going but went along anyway.  Which officially makes me a big brave girl.  *puffs out chest bravely*  :o)

I'm definitely starting to feel less intimidated about running with other people.  I ended up running with a guy who was there for the first time and we ran and chatted the whole way round the 4 and a bit mile route.  Which was great.   But as we were finishing, the guy was saying 'I don't think I could keep up with you over a longer distance' etc...

... and the funny thing was, I get the impression these days that people think I'm better at running than I am because a) I run every day and b) I guess I look like people imagine a runner to look.  I've gone from being an obese puddin' in January last year to being a size 8... wearing running shorts and a vest... and I suppose that's what looks like a runner.

It just goes to show that you shouldn't judge anyone by what they look like.  I was so intimidated by the 'proper runners'.  Y'know... those wearing shorts... decent running shoes... a vest top... kinda wiry looking.  A bit like I look now!  When someone says to me 'I don't think I'll be able to keep up with you' without seeing me run, I know that they've thought 'she's a proper runner'!  When I'm not!  I'm barely off being a beginner.  I'm 18 months off the couch.  I've run two races.  Ever.  My times aren't particularly quick.  I still find running *really* hard (even though I love doing it).  And I still doubt whether I can run the distance I'm setting out to do!

But tonight, I put that insecurity to one side and just enjoyed my running.  And discovered, yet again, that runners are a lovely lot.  Nice way to spend a Wednesday evening!

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:4.29 mi
Time:36:26
Avg Pace:8:29 min/mi
Elevation Gain:148 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment