Thursday 17 July 2014

Runstreak Day #229 - the fear

It starts with a little niggle.  The fear.  A twinge as you take a stride or two.  You're sure you feel it, but you deny that it's there.  It's just your body warming up.  One of those things.  Could be anything.  Could be nothing.  The fear that you're about to injure yourself has lodged itself in your brain.

And it's there.  Niggling.  You try to adjust your running style.  If you just tread more carefully, it'll be okay.  Only it isn't.  The niggle still niggles.

For me, the niggle was in the centre of my left knee.  I felt it running up hills mostly.  So much so that it was all I could do to get myself to the top.  Have a breather and a stretch.  And then gently and gingerly run down the other side.  Obviously this doesn't bode at all well for the Women's Running 10k on Saturday... but with that, I really just want to finish.  Am pretty sure I won't beat my time from the Derby 10k.  It's hotter.  I'm more tired.  And I just don't feel the urge to push it that hard.  I want to enjoy myself, not loathe every painful second!  And I definitely don't want this niggly knee to get any worse.

I have plans, you see.  Things I want to do with my running.  And none of those plans involve stopping running!  I'm tempted to run the Edinburgh marathon.  There's a hilly trail marathon on the 5th anniversary of my Dad's death, in the area where we lived - and I think I'd like to do that in his memory too.  The niggle can sod off.  Tomorrow is a very very gentle run.  I just want to keep on with my running.  That's not too much to ask, is it?

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:3.25 mi
Time:27:22
Avg Pace:8:26 min/mi
Elevation Gain:210 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment