Monday 26 May 2014

Runstreak Day #177 - stubbed toes and thinking about form

You know you're a runner when...

You stub your toe so badly it bleeds and your very first thought (other than the swearing!) is 'at least I got my run out of the way'.

Which is why I'm sitting, with my feet up, toe throbbing... but glad that I went for a rainy run earlier this evening!  Pretty hilly too and I went with my littlest coming along, riding his bike.  He had energy to burn so needed to be outdoors.  I just fancied running up some hills (I know!  I actually *wanted* to run up hills?!?!  What is *wrong* with me?!?!!!)... so combined 'trying to exhaust an 8 year old' with hills.  Which worked pretty well!

Not an especially long run tonight - just 5k - but sometimes that's all you need, isn't it?  8 minute miles with stupid steep hills is fine by me!

I was thinking a bit about runstreaking today.  If nothing else, it sure makes you concentrate on your form.  You don't want to injure yourself so you can't continue... yet you want to carry on improving so you REALLY have to pay attention to what you're doing.  While I'm running, I'm counting to see what my breathing's doing compared to my strides.  When I'm running uphill, I'm making sure I'm up on my toes and using my arms.  Running downhill, I run through the hill rather than coasting downwards.  I'm thinking about feeling light on my feet rather than ploddy.  It's kinda hypnotic!

I would *never* have thought that would be the result of running every day.  Rather than taking it for granted, you have to treat running with even more respect.  Weird, huh?

And then, after all that thought and care... I go and stub my poxy toe en route to sorting my over-excited kids out at bedtime.  Aaaaaaargh!!!

Ah well, Day 178 may involve a bit of hobbling, but it's definitely happening!

Cuppa?

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:2.92 mi
Time:23:27
Avg Pace:8:02 min/mi
Moving Time:23:24
Elapsed Time:36:28
Avg Pace:8:02 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace:8:01 min/mi
Best Pace:5:28 min/mi

No comments:

Post a Comment