Monday 19 May 2014

Runstreak Day #170 - first go at trail running...

Working from home today so, despite my best intentions to go for a run first thing, I ended up going for a run at lunchtime.  Because it's so warm, I had the brilliant idea to try something new and go for a run in Sherwood Forest which is nearby and - theoretically - nice and cool.  It's shady.  It's quiet.  The routes are pretty.  And because I've not been there for a run before, it seemed like a fun 'let's explore' kinda thing to do.

So... things I've learned today...

1.  If you're going to try trail running for the first time, don't do it on the hottest day of the year...
2.  ... during the hottest part of the day...
3.  ... without the right trainers on...
4.  ... or on a 500 calorie fasting day.
5.  Running in woodlands seems like a good idea until you have to keep jumping over tree roots and trying not to fall over.
6.  You will swallow several flies... flies LOVE woodlands.
7.  Running on sandy trails makes your legs ache...
8.  ... as does running through pine needles...
9.  ... and mud.
10. And a sandy trail, covered in pine needs with muddy patches up a hill is enough to make you forget you're a laydee and turn the air blue.  Plus, your legs will ache.
11. Basically, trail running makes your legs ache.  A lot.
12. Running downhill on trails is scary and fun all at the same time
13.  It's not just bears that pee in the woods.  :o)

*whistles innocently at the last point*

Y'know, it was properly lovely in the woods.  Didn't listen to any music, just heard lots of birds singing... and my crazy heavy breathing.  Why the latter bit sounds as if I've got a 60-a-day habit and have just been challenged to run up the Empire State Building, I don't know!

170 days of happy.  I have earned my lovely big cuppa cha... and will feel virtuous when I go for a walk and a bike ride later.

Smug pants... on!

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:3.00 mi
Time:28:05
Avg Pace:9:21 min/mi
Time:28:05
Moving Time:28:04
Elapsed Time:35:05
Avg Pace:9:21 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace:9:20 min/mi

No comments:

Post a Comment