Sunday 11 May 2014

Runstreak Day #162 - the only way to get a run is to run with the kids...

Okay, not most days, but today that was certainly the case because my husband is away and it's me on solo parenting duty.  Fortunately for me, my children know that I love to run every day... which also means that they're primed that when it comes to going for a run and needing to look after them, I'm going to combine the two things!

So, they rode... I ran.  And crazily got my fastest mile yet at 6:53 minutes... mainly because my super-competitive son was trying to beat my 'I know how to wind my brother up by going just a bit faster than him' daughter.  Which left me trying to keep up with them both before they either a) went in the wrong direction or b) did something stupid at a junction!

It is fun going with them though - it reminds you that it's not about 'hill repeats', 'fartleks', 'tempo runs', 'interval training'... not really (not that my running ever is about those things - I'm still not entirely sure what a fartlek is other than the word makes my 8 year old giggle).  It's about enjoying yourself.  About running down a hill and feeling like a kid as you go, half scared that you're going to go flying, half exhilarated at the rush of air and speed.  It's about seeing a hill not as an evil challenge, but a game where you try to scamper up faster than the child next to you on their bike.  It's about not quite knowing where you're headed, but enjoying getting there and feeling that naughty 'running in the corridors' feeling as you belt along the High Street, past everyone else who's only mooching.

Yeah.  Tonight was a fun one.   Swimming in the morning.  Running in the evening.  Not a bad way to bookend a Sunday!

And now... tea.  Naturally.  :o)

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:3.04 mi
Time:23:45
Avg Pace:7:48 min/mi
Time:23:45
Moving Time:23:43
Elapsed Time:35:40
Avg Pace:7:48 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace:7:48 min/mi
Best Pace:5:28 min/mi

No comments:

Post a Comment