Friday 23 May 2014

Runstreak Day #174 - back to the hills

Had a bit of a dither about where I fancied running this evening.  Didn't quite know until I left the house.  It's always a bit dicey running on a Friday night - you have to plan your route to avoid going past pubs and getting heckled!

So... I went outta the door... decided randomly to turn right and run up the hill... because there would be no-one in the park as I cut up and across it.  Then down the stupidly steep other side and along the railway line cycleway... again... because there would be no-one about.  I listened to music this evening but had it turned wa-a-a-a-a-y down and I think my days of running with music are numbered.  Tonight, however, I fancied it because I just wanted to listen to something and not have to think about anything at all.

Well, I did think about something.  I thought about a comment left on one of my blogs by someone yesterday after I'd said I ran like a snail.  They said this:

'All I can say to you is concentrate on your mind. This is your biggest enemy. You keep on telling yourself that you are not good enough! Bollocks! THat is not so! Start believing that you can be as good as everyone else!! In fact, you ARE!!
You are as good, if not better. You are no longer a novice! Did you know that? Just look around - surely there must be new people who only started training after you did! Well, let me tell you, they look at you with admiration and think: if only I could be as good as that lady . . .
I think your last hurdle, and a big one at that, is to conquer your mind, your feelings of ineptness. From my point of view, looking towards you and what you have achieved - I see somebody far superior than most human beings.
 I have had my fair share of struggles, and looking at your determination, willpower and daily dedication to succeed, to overcome . . . wow! for this you have earned a gold medal, even more in what you have achieved. Please, shake off this cloak of ineptitude, unworthiness, you are more than a conqueror, a winner.
I salute you and I hope that you will soon recognize the inner person, the real you, that you are!'

What an amazing, thoughtful comment to have made.  I need to find a way to silence the voice that tells me I'm not good enough.  That I can't do it.  That I'm too slow.  Can't keep going.  Can't keep up.

That voice seriously needs to bog off.  I've managed to run every single day for 174 days.  I'm going to think about how to do that while I'm running.

The answer always comes when I run.

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:2.99 mi
Time:24:51
Avg Pace:8:18 min/mi


Moving Time:24:51
Elapsed Time:26:01
Avg Pace:8:18 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace:8:18 min/mi
Best Pace:6:20 min/mi

No comments:

Post a Comment