Tuesday 14 October 2014

Runstreak Day #311 - contrasts and control

Finally hauled my backside outside for a run.  It took hours to coax myself off the sofa.  You'd think by my 311th day, I'd have gone into auto-pilot and would just get ready and go.  But no.  We're back to dark, dismal days and I would rather be snuggled up under a duvet than plodding round the streets with my 'still tired from Sunday's HM' legs reluctantly doing their thing.

In the end, I managed just over 5k.  Wearing a bizarre combo of running shorts, long-sleeved top and a buff, covering my ears.  It's cold, but I'm not quite prepared to ditch the shorts yet.  That would be admitting seasonal defeat and accepting that we really were headed for the months of shivery yuck.  So, my legs are still out - their pasty whiteness acting in a reflective capacity as I lollop around the streets.

Am still mildly bemused by the fact that I can run around the streets, but am struggling to walk around them on my own.  I walked a little on my own today and my hands were balled up with tension while I felt sick as I forced myself to put one foot in front of another.  I wonder if it's because I had to work so, so hard to start running... and to force myself through the umpteen things I was afraid of (from running with others to races to running on the streets or running at night)... that I feel a sense of control and ownership over it that gives me a confidence I need and can still tap into.  Who knows?  It's maddening to be trapped other than running right now though.

So, some days it might take me an effort to get out and run.  You can't underestimate how important it is to stick at it and to make it part of your life.  Even if you do go out looking like a crazy short-wearing fool on a cold night in October!

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:3.19 mi
Time:26:57
Avg Pace:8:26 min/mi
Elevation Gain:126 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment