Monday 6 October 2014

Runstreak Day #302 - the Robin Hood Half Marathon

Two weeks ago, I was sure that I wasn't going to be able to make it to the next day of running, let alone the Robin Hood half this morning.  In the immediate aftermath of the accident, I think it was adrenalin and determination that I wasn't going to lose more of myself than the accident had already taken that got me running again.  It was stupidly painful and I felt desperate in doing it.  I have never cried while running (and at other times - am a bit of a mess at the mo) as much as I have in the past couple of weeks.

I made it to the Robin Hood.  I am grateful that I'm here and that I could run it at all.

So... how was it?  To be honest, I'm too tired to process it.  I found it a mixture between overwhelming and just hard work.  I wanted to enjoy it.  But I think I'm trying to deal with pain / emotional stuff which means that I have to focus so hard on keeping on running, that enjoying it isn't on the cards right now.

The first 3 miles seemed to go okay and then I just got slower and slower. My tonsillitis turned into a chest infection at the beginning of the week and adding that into the mix, my energy levels are in the toilet.  By the 11th mile, it was only the fact that I knew the end wasn't too far away that kept me going.  I could hear other people chatting near me and saying it was less than a parkrun left... but I'm sure that the last miles in a half marathon are deliberately longer than any others!  Plus, I couldn't see my family anywhere as I finished which didn't help shorten those longer miles at all.

Even though my time was nowhere near what it might have been without the accident, I got a sub-2 with a time of 1:57.  I did what I set out to do and got myself round the Robin Hood.  I'm too exhausted to feel pleased with it right now - but I am hugely grateful to everyone who's supported me over the past two weeks and who made it possible to keep on running at all.  Thank you.

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:13.15 mi
Time:1:57:24
Avg Pace:8:56 min/mi
Elevation Gain:127 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment