Monday 13 October 2014

Runstreak Day #310 - the slow run after the HM

Only a short run tonight.  Couldn't manage anything quick as it's not just that my legs are tired from yesterday's half, but I've also had a counselling session today and I find that completely exhausting.  It's ridiculous that I should find walking alone so much harder work than running, isn't it?  I know it's as a result of the accident and the whole post-traumatic stress thing... but I was challenged to walk on my own, just a short way... and the whole thing was so panic-inducing that by the time I was done, I was on the verge of being sick.  And yet, I could run a 13.1 miles yesterday.  And, even though my legs were really tired today, I could manage a run without feeling that fear.

Running is a very powerful way of helping you feel in control.  At least it is for me.  I don't know if it's because I'm already running away from whatever it is my brain is trying to defend me from when I'm walking... but running feels so very different.

Anyway, the end result was that I was so tired I wasn't able to do much more than a simple loop around the neighbourhood.  The hill was hard going.  My ankle didn't appreciate it and my shoulders are complaining nicely now it's done.  What price a bit of freedom though, right?

Tomorrow I'm going to brave walking on my own again.  It can't be worse than today.  And at least my legs will find my run a bit easier!

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:2.81 mi
Time:25:39
Avg Pace:9:08 min/mi
Elevation Gain:105 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment