Wednesday 8 October 2014

Runstreak Day #308 - reasons to run

Decision made about tomorrow's Tissington Trail half marathon.  I'm going to run it.  I have no expectation of time.  I have no expectation of how it will be or how it will go.  But I *will* run it.

I didn't make a decision about it until yesterday when I was out for a run.  We'd had a hard day - collecting our belongings from the wrecked car which were being held by the police, plus it was the motorcyclist's funeral.  And running allowed my head to stop turning those things over and over.  So, instead, I was thinking about tomorrow's half marathon and I realised that it's not about competing.  It's not about feeling compelled to run it whatever the cost.  It's not about a medal.  I would just like to run that route.  It's as simple as that.  I don't have to worry about traffic.  I get to be in beautiful countryside.  And I get to feel in control for a couple of hours.  Which, given that following the accident I'm struggling to even walk down the street on my own, is a feeling that I particularly need right now.

So, today's run was a gentle one.  5k.  No parkrun.  Nothing other than a bit of a plod.  Other than running, I did also get to talk about running as we're trying to turn our Notts Women Runners group into a proper running club.  Which is really exciting and we met today to start putting our plans into action.

I don't know if I would have even suggested creating a running club when I started this runstreak 308 days ago.  I do know the difference running has made to me at what's been a seriously awful time.  It's not something you can necessarily explain to anyone else.  Why you'd run when your back, ribs and ankle are painful from a car accident.  How you can run on the same pavement you're too panicked to walk down.  It doesn't seem to make sense.  Until you need it and it does make sense.

Running gives you more than you realise, over and over again.

Geeky stats stuff


Distance:3.11 mi
Time:26:54
Avg Pace:8:39 min/mi
Elevation Gain:151 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment