Monday 20 October 2014

Runstreak Day #317 - wet, wet, wet...

Ah... Autumn... season of mists and mellow fruitfulness.

Scrub that.

Autumn... season of gloves, Buffs, squelchy trainers, hi-vis clothing being dragged out of the wardrobe, shorts packed away for the Winter, rain dripping off your chin, headwinds whipping around you as you run up hills, cars splashing you as they drive through puddles, dark nights, leaf-slime of pavements... and the occasional nice day that instantly makes you forget all the revolting stuff that happens at this time of year.

However, there was no nice day today.  It rained.  And rained.  And rained a bit more.  Then added swirly winds into the mixture.  And rained just a tad more.  So, when I went out for my run this evening, the puddles were pretending to be lakes, the drains were emptying themselves in angry little rivers down the hill and I doubted my sanity as the first blast of cold and wet hit me square in the face.  Unsurprisingly, I saw absolutely no other runners out this evening.

After the first few minutes of getting soaked, it was okay.  The odd puddle into trainer incident wasn't particularly pleasant... but it was survivable.  I needed the space to think after having had counselling today.  It's intense and emotionally exhausting... and leaves me with so much going on in my head that I can't easily process it... running is downtime when there is none otherwise.

And after a soggy run, getting home to a nice warm bath and a cuppa cha, well... that's all good!  Another day run.  Day 317, I think?!  Am losing track!

Geeky stats stuff (add on another 0.25 - my Garmin couldn't cope with the weather!)

Distance:3.16 mi
Time:28:42
Avg Pace:9:06 min/mi
Elevation Gain:140 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment