Wednesday 1 October 2014

Runstreak Day #295 - stubborn survival

Sometimes (okay a lot of the time) I think I might be too stubborn for my own good because bloody hell it was hard work doing a long run this morning.

I could write a list of things I'm fed up of...

I'm fed up of my ribs hurting
I'm fed up of not getting much sleep
I'm fed up of my back pain
I'm fed up of my ankle aching
I'm fed up of having tonsillitis
I'm fed up of how hard things are at the moment.

Okay, I did write a list.

But when it was really tough this morning, I started to say 'I'm thankful' instead.  I'm thankful I'm able to run at all.  I'm thankful that I'm alive.  All of the things that I'm fed up of are only symptoms of still being here.  For which I'm thankful.

I have absolutely wiped myself out with my long run though.  If I'm to stand any chance of doing the Robin Hood half next Sunday, I had to give myself the confidence back that I *could* do the distance.  The first couple of miles were okay before the rib pain really started to kick in.  About 6 miles in and I could feel my energy draining and my pace really slowing.  By 8 miles, I caught up with someone I know, and was grateful of the fact that I have no voice at the moment because of the tonsillitis - and could run in silence with him with no pressure to do 'chit chat'.  The last two miles were just plain hard work.

Altogether I managed 10.5 miles.

I've been in bed the rest of the day.  But I did it.

There are always excuses why you shouldn't do something.  There are some pretty good reasons why you shouldn't too.  Sometimes, if setting your mind on a goal to get you through a really hard time is all you've got, then ignoring excuses and reasons and doing it anyway makes as much sense as anything else does.

I will feel like me again.

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:10.40 mi
Time:1:31:53
Avg Pace:8:50 min/mi
Elevation Gain:71 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment