Monday 20 October 2014

Runstreak Day #316 - misty long runs

I went for a run with the Sweatshop Running Community - and ran with a running friend the whole way.  It was lovely near the river and the canal with the mist rising off the water, cobwebs dripping with jewels, rowing boats appearing from the haze.  I was glad to be there.  I was glad to feel relaxed enough to enjoy it. 

We took it really slowly.  My ankle is not feeling brilliant but apart from anything I just wanted to relax and not think about pace or worry about getting to particular distances.  It's such a freedom from stress right now that it needs to not matter.  

It's funny really.  A few months ago, I would find the prospect of running with others really daunting.  Now it doesn't bother me.  Now, I like the thought that I don't have to run at *my* pace, and don't have to think about anything other than just gently running.  That's a change, isn't it?  I want to encourage other women to have that safety net of enjoying the freedom and peace that running brings.  In the past four weeks since the accident, when everything else has been so hard... dealing with panic attacks, anxiety, flashbacks of the awful moment of seeing the motorcyclist on the road and the wreckage of our car, bonnet cleaved in two and snarled up in an angry curl... when everything else has been so hard, running has been simple.  Has provided control.  Has allowed me to escape.

And this morning, I ran for 8.5 miles.  And had the space to breathe.  The safety net of company.  And the knowledge that I am okay underneath all of the mess that's happened.   

Once you get past the sheer physical effort of running, it gives you far more back than you could imagine during those lung-burning, leg aching early days.

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:8.56 mi
Time:1:25:34
Avg Pace:10:00 min/mi
Elevation Gain:51 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment