Monday 1 September 2014

Runstreak Day #275 - and so it begins...

... and so it begins...

The first 'it's getting dark when I go for a run in an evening' run.  Which I'm sure there's a more succinct expression kicking around for that, but I can't think what it might be!

Anyway... it was going dark by the time I hauled myself out for a run.  Didn't think it would be up to much after yesterday's 11-miles-then-crashing-out thing.  But it was surprisingly okay.  25 minutes for a hilly 5k, felt relaxed and pretty steady the whole time... and it's a 500 calorie fasting day as well.  Sooooo... yeah... that was okay.

However, as I was running, I was reminded about the pitfalls of running when it's dark.  There are good bits to running at night.  For example, it's pretty quiet on the streets and you kind of feel like it's your own little world, which is groovy.  But... the dog poo fairy is not kind to night-time runners.  Nor is the pub-prat fairy.  Plus, you can't run around parks at night unless you want to bump into the 'deeply suspicious why are you hanging around a park' fairy.  And the pothole fairy has a tendency to attempt to trip you over.  It's also colder at night.  Which is good and bad because at least you don't overheat... but you do risk your frozen fingers snapping off when you go to undo your trainers after you've finished your run.

Still, there is a part of me - and feel free to shout at me if you'd like - that's looking forward to nosing at everyone's Christmas decorations when I'm out doing my dark evening runs in a couple of months' time!  Am almost ridiculously excited about that!!

PS  In 3 months I will have been running every day for a year (it's day 275 today).  75% of the way there... and 90 days left to run.  Is it okay if I'm stupidly excited about that too?
PPS  I am also excited about tea.  It really is the little things that keep me going...  :o)

Geeky stats stuff
Distance:3.10 mi
Time:25:44
Avg Pace:8:19 min/mi
Elevation Gain:208 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment