Saturday 6 September 2014

Runstreak Day #280 - parkrun and little victories

I just parkran my backside off!  YAY!!

It's funny how the little personal victories make you go 'yay!' about stuff.  Like today.  A completely meaningless one for anyone else... and it wasn't even my best 5k time... but it's the first time I've got a sub-24 time at Colwick parkrun (23:40-ish) and I am a happy little bunny.

In fact, it'll sustain me through doing the grocery shopping - which is where I'm headed next - it'll keep me going when, inevitably, the kids make a mess / break something / refuse to do something / argue with one another later.  It'll make me whistle inside when I'm hanging out the washing.  Mopping the kitchen floor.  And all the other mundane stuff that goes to make up a Saturday.

You have to love running for giving you the chance to feel fab about something you've achieved, don't you?  The little victories come in all different shades.  Whether it's managing a hill that's eluded you.  Running a trail for the first time.  Running with other people.  Doing something massive like the GNR, a marathon, an ultra.  Or even just conquering that very first Couch to 5k run-walk.  You get to wear a Ready Brek kid glow of happy, and it was all powered by you.

All those pants runs last week?  You are forgiven.  Today I managed a really consistent pace.  I got the urge to stop and run away... and didn't.  And I got to chat to some of the lovely people I've gradually got to know by *not* giving in to my fear of running with other people over the past few months.

Anyone else care to join me in parkrun happy dancing today?

*happy dances*

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:3.14 mi
Time:23:41
Avg Pace:7:33 min/mi
Elevation Gain:39 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment