Wednesday 3 September 2014

Runstreak Day #277 - brain vs stats

Day 277 and I think I may have broken myself a little bit.

Only a little bit, mind you.  Nothing dramatic.  I'm just a bit knackered after yet another busy day and my run this evening was a bit of a treacle run.

The first part was okay, but the second half was slu-u-u-u-u-u-uggish.  You know how it happens?  You're tootling along quite happily... and then... lead legs strike.  And you go from hoping that all the lights will be green for you to fly through to wishing them onto red so that you can stop and try to catch your breath a bit.  Hang on...

*lightbulb moment*

A-a-a-a-a-actually... I'm probably not being fair on myself.  I've just nerded out on Strava and looked at my splits...  and I can see that the GAP (grade adjusted pace - where they take into account the descent / climb and factor that into your pace so you can compare hilly runs with flat ones) shows it was more consistent than it felt - running just about spot on 8:10 minute miles the whole time rather than the unadjusted pace which ranged between 7:38 to 9:14 minute miles.  It's just that the run was essentially 2 and a bit miles downhill and then 2 and a bit uphill.  D'oh!  And this is why we love nerdy stats!!

But why on earth I didn't clock that that's what was going on while I was running, I'll never know.

I am officially a muppet.

I clearly need more tea.  And to give myself a stern talking to when I'm running and feeling like I'm about to collapse on the floor like a sack of middle-aged sadness.  And to stop dumping the entire contents of my brain onto the page without thinking a little bit first!  :o)

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:4.35 mi
Time:35:51
Avg Pace:8:15 min/mi
Elevation Gain:157 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment