Tuesday 9 September 2014

Runstreak Day #283 - smug pants and fastest miles

*dances in*

*pulls up smug pants as far as they will go*

*skips and bounces a few times*

Guess who got her fastest mile this evening?!  Me!  YAY!  6 minutes 47 seconds!  Bosh!!  Nowhere near as fast as anyone who's properly fast... but boy was it fun!

Had a really good run too - met up with a few others to go run in the 'new, not actually open yet but we're going in it anyway because it's flippin' fab' country park and ran our little legs off.  Up a stupidly stupidly big hill, 2 miles of stupidly big hill... but we managed it anyway.  We earned the views at the top.  It was peaceful.  It was warm.  The sun was just starting to set.  What's not to like?

I feel like I'm clinging on to the last bits of summer... I'm still not ready to stop wearing running shorts and a vest top!  Plus, it's been so lovely to have light runs for months on end.  But now, the light is getting autumnal and golden... the evenings are getting darker earlier... and the shadows are getting just a bit colder.  It's still a privilege to be out there running though.  There really is nothing like that feeling of rhythm and motion and achievement and energy that you get from running.  A hill that doesn't defeat you.  A slope you can almost fly down.  Runners you can chat to as you go.  It's just the best feeling.

After an evening like this, I know it was worth all that long, hard slog to get myself running in the first place.  The hard work of couch to 5k... weaning myself off the podcasts... braving longer distances, steeper hills... facing my fear of running with others.  And the reward is the joy of being able to run freely.

I smiled so much this evening my face aches more than my legs.

And now I have tea.  Which makes everything so much nicer!  ^_^

*carries on dancing in her smug pants*

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:3.57 mi
Time:28:49
Avg Pace:8:04 min/mi
Elevation Gain:227 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment