Saturday 13 September 2014

Runstreak Day #287 - the Steep Hill of Doom...

Oooooh... get me... day 287 already done and it hasn't even been 12 hours since the last run!  I've come over all efficient!!

Actually, the truth is that as with most 'parents who run', your Saturday is a festival of 'doing activities with your kids / doing family stuff' and if you want to run, you have to spot a teensy little opening and cram it in quick sharp before it's filled with everything else!  Take this morning.  Up early.  Made breakfast.  Baked a cake.  Did the laundry.  Went for a run.  Home for a shower.  And just off to do the shopping.  All by 9am.

No wonder so many people struggle to find time to be active when they've got families.  It *is* a struggle!

The struggle is worth it though, and I really enjoyed my little 3 miler this morning.  First mile zinged by happily.  Almost regretted wearing a vest top and shorts as there's a definite chill in the air in the morning now.  But by the time I was running along the path near the railway line, I was nicely warmed up and just enjoying myself as I pattered along.  About halfway along the path though, I remembered that the path was going to end fairly shortly.  And after that would come the...

*sound of thunder in the distance*

*dramatic music swells... dramatically*

... Steep Hill of Doom.

*lightning overhead*

It's not even that long.  About 3/4 of a mile at most.  But bloody hell is it relentlessly steep.  And straight.  So you can see EXACTLY how much you have left to run for the first half mile.  Then, it kids you into plateauing for about half a second... and then starts to climb again for the last quarter of a mile, by which time your legs have turned to jelly, even your eyes are sweating and your breathing sounds like a chainsaw orchestra.

In your face, Steep Hill of Doom!!  The last little bit of my run takes me down across a park and halfway down the hill the other side, back to my house.  By which point I am back to doing my world famous 'if the neighbours spot me, I'm pretending to be a gazelle' impression, so that they don't think I'm a complete sad sack!

And that, my lovelies, was day 287.  Cake baking.  Laundry.  Running. Grocery shopping.  Packing kids off to swimming.  Crazy running-parenting-Saturday.

No time even for tea!!!!  *gasps with horror*

Geeky stats stuff

Distance:3.01 mi
Time:24:20
Avg Pace:8:04 min/mi
Elevation Gain:202 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment