Monday 17 February 2014

Some runs are hard work...

... some runs aren't.  This one was, even though it was only two and a half miles and all because I hadn't felt well earlier in the day.  Annoyingly unwell since I had the day off and ended up spending half of it in bed feeling icky.

By the time I felt up to going for a run, it was far later than normal and I was running just because I felt I should rather than because I wanted to.  As I ran, I was thinking about the running group I went to last week for the first time - and about my struggle with Parkrun nerves.  I think both remind me of being at school and the torture of cross country there.  Trying desperately not to be last, but never going to even vaguely catch sight of the sylph-like figures of the 'good' girls.  All I need is an obese drunkard of a gym teacher screeching angrily at me to hurry up from her car as I run past, gasping for breath, memories of her calling me a fairy elephant in front of everyone still freshly stinging, and it would be 1987 all over again.

Nice.

When it's a good run, however, I feel free.  I feel like I'm in my space.  I marvel at the fact that my legs can run.  That they can take me places.  That I am in control.

Today.  I limped along like a terrified 13 year old schoolgirl.

79 days of running in a row though and nearly 250 miles run as part of this run streak.  Y'know what... I think that's a resounding 'up yours' Mrs Gym Teacher.  Even though I didn't feel like it, I did it anyway.

Geeky stats stuff (not that accurate - this run was definitely more than 2.5 miles!)

Distance:2.44 mi
Time:21:28
Avg Pace:8:48 min/mi

Time:21:28
Moving Time:21:28
Elapsed Time:21:37
Avg Pace:8:48 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace:8:48 min/mi
Best Pace:7:24 min/mi

No comments:

Post a Comment