Saturday 15 February 2014

Second ever Parkrun

Right... this is a confession... Parkrun scares me.  I get so nervous beforehand I take up almost permanent residence in the toilet.

I almost didn't go this morning but decided that I would just to force myself out of my comfort zone.  I don't really know what it is about it that I find so daunting.  Because I've only been running for a year and spent almost 40 years believing that I couldn't run at all, every time I set out for a run I'm not sure if I can do it at all.  Combine that with running with lots of other people who actually *look* like runners... well... that's a recipe for a nervous stomach and then some!

Anyway, I did it.  It was horrendously windy out.  The puddles were ankle deep in places, as was the mud.  My legs were splattered.  My white socks are now brown.  And by the time I rounded the smaller lake for a second lap and the wind hit me hard in the face AGAIN... I very very nearly left the park and ran back to my car!  Only the thought that I had less than a quarter of a mile to go kept me going.

And then a child, half my size, overtook me and leapt his way like a pint-sized gazelle towards the finish funnel.

Salt.  Wound.  :o)

I'm going to give myself one more go at doing a Parkrun to see if I can conquer my nerves.  If I can't, then it's nice, quiet, ownsome lonesome runs for me instead.  At least I might stand a chance of avoiding the mud on a Saturday morning!

Day 77's run... done.

Geeky stats stuff:

Distance:3.12 mi
Time:27:13
Avg Pace:8:44 min/mi

Time:27:13
Moving Time:27:13
Elapsed Time:27:13
Avg Pace:8:44 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace:8:43 min/mi
Best Pace:7:06 min/mi

No comments:

Post a Comment